Zucchini Carrot Bread
Created with love by Marianne Borozny.
What You Need:
⅓ cup melted coconut or vegetable oil (We used peanut oil.)
¼ cup Greek yogurt or unsweetened applesauce (or ⅛ cup of each)
½ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1-2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp powdered ginger
½ tsp allspice
1½ cups flour
½ tsp salt
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
1 cup zucchini, shredded, loosely packed
1 cup carrots, grated, loosely packed
½ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
½ cup raisins (optional)
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch pan.
3. Whisk eggs with oil, yogurt/applesauce, sugars, and vanilla.
4. Mix all spices together and then whisk them into wet ingredients.
5. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Fold flour mixture into wet
ingredients, barely combining.
6. Gently fold both zucchini and carrots into batter.
7. Pour batter into pan and bake for about 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer or toothpick comes out cleanly. Begin to check doneness around 45 minutes.
You may substitute spices with 2-2½ tsp of pumpkin pie spice. Also, you can
use half applesauce and half yogurt. You can try to replace brown sugar with ¼ cup honey for a denser, more moist cake. Sesame seeds sprinkled on top are tasty, nutritious, and add texture.